31 Ağustos 2026 Pazartesi

 

Motorcycle Tour around the Lake Region — “Göller Bölgesi” -  TURKEY

August, 21st to 27th,2026 (7 days) >>>>>>>2,225 km

For a long time, I had been thinking about taking a motorcycle tour around the Lake Region, which is called “Göller Bölgesi” in Turkish. Finally, I took my BMW R 1200 GS and departed from my home in Beykoz, Istanbul, on Friday, August 21, 2026, at around 08:30 in the morning. 

I mainly followed this route:  Beykoz (Istanbul) – Eğirdir (Isparta) – Karacaören (Burdur) – Beyşehir (Konya) – Sultanhanı (Aksaray) – Ankara – Beykoz (Istanbul)


Day 01 — 21.08.2026

Beykoz (Istanbul) to Eğirdir (Isparta)  >>> 550 km

After a quick breakfast at home, I departed at around 08:30 and headed towards the ferry port at Eskihisar, Kocaeli. The ferry took me across the bay in less than an hour, arriving at Topçular.

From there, I took the road via Karamürsel, a town located on the Gulf of İzmit. The road from Karamürsel to İznik (ancient Nikea) goes over hills and through valleys and many small villages. I stopped by Lake İznik for a coffee.

I then continued in the direction of Yenişehir and İnegöl. The winding road was very enjoyable, and the views over the lake were marvellous. At around 13:00, I stopped for lunch at Çiçek Izgara, a restaurant in downtown İnegöl. The famous local dish here is İnegöl Köfte, a type of Turkish meatball.

The weather was hot, but the sky was clear. I continued via Tahtaköprü, Domaniç, Tunçbilek, Tavşanlı, and Kütahya. The scenery around Domaniç was particularly nice.

From Kütahya onwards, I headed towards Afyonkarahisar. This is a main road and, from a motorcyclist's point of view, not particularly interesting. It was also very hot in Afyon, with the temperature around 33°C.

I then took the road via Şuhut towards Eğirdir. The road had very little traffic, and both the road itself and the scenery around Lake Eğirdir were wonderful.

After reaching Lake Eğirdir, the road follows the western shore. The view was marvellous: on the left was the lake, while on the right there was green countryside and mountains. It was a beautiful stretch of road for riding.

At around 18:00, I arrived at Yeşil Ada (Green Island) in Eğirdir. I started looking for a place to stay for the night. There are a few guesthouses and very small hotels on Yeşil Ada, most of them run by local families. I stayed at Paşik House, which faced west and was only about 10–20 meters from the lake shore. The lady, Hatice, offered me a nice cup of Turkish tea just before I settled into the house.

I was lucky because there were no other guests staying there, so I practically had the whole place to myself. I paid 3,000 TL (approximately USD 60) per night without breakfast. This was a little expensive considering the quality, but it was a quiet and friendly guesthouse.

After taking a shower and relaxing in my room, I went for a walk around Yeşil Ada. 

Eğirdir Lake from Yeşilada

Silent view of the Eğirdir Lake

Eğirdir Town looking from Yeşilada

Later, I stopped at Halikarnas Restaurant, just in front of my guesthouse, for dinner. I had a mixed salad, goat cheese, and fried lake fish, together with two bottles of beer. The total cost was 1,900 TL (approximately USD 40).

Day 02 — 22.08.2026

Eğirdir–Kovada–Sagalassos–Hacılar (Burdur) – Isparta – Eğirdir   >>> 270 km

Early in the morning, at around 08:00, I walked into downtown Eğirdir. It was only about 2 km away. I visited Dündar Bey Madrasa and walked through the streets of Eğirdir. I bought two peaches and enjoyed a simple breakfast while walking around.

Entrance Gate to the Dündar Bey Camii

Minaret of the Dündar Bey Camii

Centre of Eğirdir

Old houses in Eğirdir downtown

Then I walked back to my guesthouse and continued to the end of the Yeşil Ada peninsula. Although it is called an island, it is a peninsula today because it has been connected to the mainland. I went swimming in the lake and spent some time sunbathing on the beach.

The weather was nice and warm, and the water was also pleasantly warm.

I departed at around 11:50 on my motorcycle and filled up with gas in Eğirdir. Then I headed towards Lake Kovada, which is part of Kovada National Park.

I stopped at a café there and ordered something to eat. It was a quick lunch, accompanied by a cold black mulberry juice.

At the café, I met an old man called Ahmet, who was from the nearby village of Kırıntı. We talked about agriculture, water shortages, and other local issues.

Afterwards, I followed the road through the forest in a southerly direction. The scenery along the winding road was fantastic, although the quality of the asphalt was not very good.

I eventually reached Ağlasun, near the ancient city of Sagalassos. This was my second visit to the site.It was very hot when I arrived there, and there were also many people visiting the ruins.

Ağlasun Town seen from Sagalassos

Upper Square of Sagalassos


Sagalassos ancient city and Ağlasun in the background

From Ağlasun, you must ride about 7 km uphill to reach the ancient city of Sagalassos.

From Wikipedia :

Sagalassos , also known as Selgessos and Sagallesos is an archaeological site in southwestern Turkey, about 100 km north of Antalya (ancient Attaleia) and 30 km from Burdur and Isparta. The ancient ruins of Sagalassos are 7 km from Ağlasun (as well as being its namesake) in the province of Burdur, on Mount Akdağ, in the Western Taurus Mountains range, at an altitude of 1450–1700 metres. In Roman Imperial times, the town was known as the "first city of Pisidia", a region in the western Taurus Mountains, currently known as the Turkish Lakes Region. During the Hellenistic period it was already one of the major Pisidian towns.

After having some time and taking some pictures I continued my ride in the direction to Burdur. Burdur, which is located at the Burdur Lake, is a city on this region. I rode through Burdur to Hacilar Village where I would like to see Hacılar Büyük Höyük.

From Wikipedia :

Hacilar, or Hacılar Höyük ("Hacilar Mound"), is an early human settlement in southwestern Turkey, 23 km south of present-day Burdur. It has been dated back 7040 BC at its earliest stage of development. Archaeological remains indicate that the site was abandoned and reoccupied on more than one occasion in its history.

I left the site at around 16:30 and rode towards Burdur, then continued the road to Isparta. The roads were in good condition, and the traffic was only a little slow within Isparta.

After riding through the city, which is famous for its rose plantations and rose products, I followed the road back towards Eğirdir. It is about 35 km from Isparta.

It was almost 18:00 when I parked my bike in front of the guesthouse. After changing clothes, I walked to the same beach I had visited earlier. I bought a cold beer and sat down by the lake. After refreshing myself in the lake, I enjoyed my cold beer while looking across to the other side of the lake, where there was a house belonging to my father-in-law. We had visited that house a couple of times in the past.

After relaxing and swimming in the lake, I walked back to my guesthouse. After getting ready for dinner, I went to the restaurant closest to my guesthouse, Halikarnas Restaurant.

I had some meze and ordered a small bottle of Rakı. I sat back, relaxed, and really enjoyed the evening.

Day-03: 23.08.2026    

Egirdir-Kovada-Karacaören Dam (Burdur) >>>95 km

As I had done the previous day, I walked into downtown Eğirdir early in the morning. Walking in the fresh morning air is a very good way to start the day. When I came back to my guesthouse, I wanted to find a café or hotel where I could have breakfast. Unfortunately, I could not find a suitable place. The guesthouse next door, Göl Pansiyon, was only serving breakfast to its own guests.

So, I took my bike and rode to Arzava Café, which is only about 1.5 km from my guesthouse. Arzava Café is operated by the local municipality. It is a large place with a beautiful panorama overlooking the lake, on the western side of the peninsula.

The breakfast tray was very rich: olives, four or five different types of cheese, French fries, honey, butter, local bakery products, eggs with sausage, tea, two types of fruit, and more.

I really enjoyed my breakfast, but it was simply too much for me. I left almost half of it untouched. I would suggest ordering only one breakfast tray for two people.

Arzava is a good place to have breakfast!

After breakfast, I returned to my guesthouse and prepared myself for the ride to Karacaören Dam. I departed from the guesthouse at around 11:00 and first headed to a gas station to fill up my tank. Then I headed towards Pınar Pazarı, a traditional local open-air marketplace. There were many people buying and selling all kinds of things. I took a quick look but did not stop and continued towards the Kovada Lake road.

I used the same route as the day before. The weather was hot, and the sun was shining brightly. At 12:15, I reached the junction with the Antalya–Isparta road. From there, I headed south towards Karacaören Dam.

I rode off-road for about half an hour because I wanted to explore the lakeshore and discover the area. Then I returned to the asphalt road and rode a little further towards the entrance to Karacaören Village and Dam.




There is a sharp left turn from the main road. Do not miss it!

I then rode down towards Karacaören Lake to look for a place to stay for the night. I found Hotel Dolphin, whose owner, Yunus Emre, I met there.

Once again, I was the only guest that night. The hotel had a nice view over the lake and the dam. After settling into my room and changing my clothes, I sat on the balcony and enjoyed a cold beer.

Hotel Dolphin for Sale at Karacaören Dam Lake

Later, I started walking around to explore the area surrounding the hotel. The hotel's front yard was very large, with many different varieties of trees and plants.

I picked some figs from the trees and ate them. Then I went down towards the lake. I reached the water through a path beside the fish farm.

Unfortunately, the lakeshore there was not very pleasant because of the muddy ground. So, I used the passage through the neighbouring Hotel Saklı Göl Evleri, a lakeside resort.

I sat on the barge attached to the shore and enjoyed the view of the lake. Then I jumped into the water and cooled myself down for a while.

Afterwards, I returned to Hotel Dolphin and sat on the terrace in the shade. I really enjoyed the silence and the surrounding nature.

As it was getting dark, I took a shower in my room and then went to the neighbouring Hotel Saklı Göl Evleri, where there was a restaurant.

I ordered dinner: Sliced beef, grilled peppers with yogurt, and a drink. The bill was 1,500 TL (approx.USD 31).

After dinner, I returned to Hotel Dolphin and sat for a while on the terrace, enjoying a cold beer in the quiet of the night. Meanwhile, I talked with the owner of the hotel, and we mutually agreed to cancel breakfast for the following morning. He explained that they could only serve breakfast after 09:00, which was too late for me.

I had the impression that he and his wife were quite happy with this arrangement. Perhaps they were reluctant to prepare breakfast especially for me, as I was the only guest in the hotel that night. In any case, it worked well for both of us.

Day-04: 24.08.2026  

Karacaören Dam (Burdur)-Yazılıkaya Canyon-Beyşehir >>>195 km

I woke up early in the morning. Since we had cancelled breakfast, I packed all my stuff and departed from Hotel Dolphin at around 07:45. Just after sunrise, I had taken some pictures overlooking Karacaören Lake.


Hydroelectrical Power Plant-Karacaören

Shortly after leaving the hotel, I passed by the dam and power plant area. Then I followed the Antalya–Isparta highway. After about 10 minutes, I took the junction toward Yazılıkaya Canyon. The road and the surrounding scenery were marvellous in the morning. On my right, I could see the lake and the surrounding natural park.

When I arrived at the Yazılıkaya Canyon visitor centre, a ranger came to me and asked me to pay the entrance fee. It was 110 TL (approximately USD 2.50) for motorcycles. I parked my bike and started walking along the riverside. I took the northern trail first, and then, using the pedestrian bridge, I crossed the river. After that, I continued walking along the southern side of the river. The trail through the canyon is approximately 1.5 km long. I then walked back to where I had parked my bike. In total, I spent around one hour trekking through the canyon.




The reason this place is called Yazılıkaya Canyon is the ancient Greek inscription engraved on a rock there.

At around 09:30, I left the canyon parking lot and continued riding in the direction of Sütçüler, a town in the region. At 10:30, I stopped in Ayvalı Pınar village. There was a café on the riverbank, so I bought some food for breakfast. Two cups of tea accompanied my breakfast.

Then I continued riding toward Beyşehir, a town located on the shores of Lake Beyşehir. I passed through the town of Aksu and then reached Kızıldağ National Park. At the highest point, there is a fountain and a recreation area. I stopped there for a while to enjoy the view. Looking east, I could see Lake Beyşehir in the distance. Both the scenery and the joy of riding were at their highest point today.

Lake Beyşehir aproaching to Town Beyşehir.

Approaching the Town Beyşehir-Lake

Then I started riding downhill toward Lake Beyşehir. I approached the lake from the southwest and followed the road all the way to downtown Beyşehir. I parked my bike right in front of my hotel, Paradise Rooms. It is a new hotel located right in the town centre.


After relaxing for a while in my room, I left the hotel and walked around downtown. Crossing the Historical Bridge, I reached the famous Eşrefoğlu Mosque, a wooden mosque built before the Ottoman period, at the end of the 13th century.

From Wikipedia:

Eşrefoğlu Mosque is a 13th-century mosque in Beyşehir, Konya Province, Turkey It is situated 100 metres (330 ft) north of the Beyşehir Lake.

During the last years of Seljuks of Rum, various governors of Seljuks enjoyed a partial independency. They established their own semi-independent principalities named Anatolian Beyliks. Eshrefids (1280–1326) was a small beylik in center west Anatolia. After 1288, Süleyman Bey, the second bey of Eshrefids rebuilt the city of Beyşehir as a capital of his beylik. Although his beylik was relatively an unimportant political power, the city flourished as one of the cultural centers of Seljuk world. In 1296, he commissioned a mosque in Beyşehir, one of the greatest mosques during the Anatolian beylik period. In 1302 he died and buried in a sepulcher next to the mosque.

Technical details

The plan of the mosque is rectangular; 31.8 by 46.55 metres (104.3 by 152.7 feet). But the corner at the northeast side is enlarged to make room for the main portal. The dimensions of the portal are 7.1 by 10.1 metres (23 by 33 feet). There are two smaller gates and 35 windows. The roof is supported by 42 wooden columns. The length of each column is 7.5 metres (24.6 feet). Their diameter is 40 cm (16 in).[1]

After seven centuries, unlike most other Seljuk wooden buildings, this mosque survives and it is used for regular services. The wooden columns are made of cedar and according to oral tradition they were soaked in the Beyşehir lake for six months before being used in the building. At the center of the mosque there is a snow pit. Up to relatively recent times (1940s), the pit was used to be filled with snow from the nearby mountains. This snow both cooled the mosque during the summers and supplied the necessary humidity to the wooden infrastructure.[2]

Eshrefoglu Mosque



Entrance Gate of Eshrefoglu Mosque



Inside view-Eshrefoglu Mosque

Mihrab of the Eshrefoglu Mosque

Ceiling

I visited the mosque and took many pictures of it. Afterwards, I sat at the adjacent coffee shop outside and enjoyed a Turkish coffee. About 400 meters away from the mosque, I saw the Fortress Gate. The gate has been refurbished, but it is not particularly impressive because it does not look original. Then I walked along the lakeside and through the park.

Since I hadn’t had lunch, I looked for a restaurant. I came across the popular Hilal Etli Ekmek Restaurant, where I had 1,5 portions of the local specialty from Konya, Etli Ekmek. It is a kind of flat-baked pita topped with minced meat, crushed tomatoes, and onions. Including some appetizers and a drink, I paid 450 TL (approximately USD 9).

Afterwards, I walked around the city, and when twilight arrived, I took some pictures overlooking the lake.

Historical Bridge of Beyşehir

Twilight view overlooking Beyşehir Lake

Historical Bridge of Beyşehir

Beyşehir is a special town with beautiful natural surroundings, but unfortunately, there is trash everywhere. Many places are covered with sunflower seed shells. The people of Beyşehir should take more care of their own city and keep it clean!

It was getting dark, so I slowly made my way back to the hotel. After another long day of riding, walking, sightseeing, and taking pictures, I was ready to rest.

Day-05: 25.08.2026  

Beyşehir(Konya)-Seydişehir-Çumra-Çatalhöyük-Sultanhanı >>>280 km

I woke up early in the morning and went out for a walk along the coast of Lake Beyşehir. The sky was blue and the weather was warm. It was a good time to walk along the pedestrian walkway by the lake. Around 8 o’clock, I returned to my hotel, Paradise Rooms. The breakfast was good enough, and I was happy with the quality of the hotel. The empty ground in front of the hotel was also convenient for parking.

I departed from the hotel around 9 o’clock, heading towards Seydişehir. My plan was to ride to Çatalhöyük (Çumra) without going through crowded Konya city. I had a smooth ride to Çumra. It is a flat countryside, and the roads are mostly flat and straight. I bought fuel in Ortakaraören Mahallesi and continued my ride towards Çumra.

At 11:40, I arrived at the Çatalhöyük archaeological site. This place is an important milestone in human history. It is considered one of the earliest settlements in human history and offers a wonderful opportunity to understand how people lived during the Neolithic period. (7500-5500 BC). I highly suggest paying a visit to this site. The building and the exhibition and the café as well as worth to mention.



Typical grave in the house

Typical house -Inside

From Wikipedia :

Çatalhöyük (English: Chatalhoyuk; also Çatal Höyük and Çatal Hüyük; from Turkish çatal "fork" + höyük "tumulus") is a tell (a mounded accretion resulting from long-term human settlement) of a very large Neolithic and Chalcolithic proto-city settlement in southern Anatolia, which existed from around 7500 BC to 5600 BC and flourished around 7000 BC.[1] Çatalhöyük overlooks the Konya Plain, southeast of the present-day city of Konya (ancient Iconium) in Turkey, around 140 km (87 mi) from the twin-coned volcano of Mount Hasan. It is notable for its large size, apparent egalitarian social structure, and value as a well-preserved example of early Neolithic-era permanent human settlements.

In July 2012, it was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.[2]

The site was discovered by James Mellaart in 1958 during a regional survey of the Konya Plain. He led a team which excavated there for four seasons between 1961 and 1965.[8][9][10][11][12] These excavations revealed this section of Anatolia as a centre of advanced culture in the Neolithic period.[13] 

From here, I took the road to Boncuklu Höyük, which is only 13–14 km away from Çatalhöyük. I rode in a northerly direction and reached the highway between Konya and Aksaray. The roads are good, but the surrounding landscape is naturally not very satisfying. The soil quality for agricultural use is not very good, and the lack of water is noticeable everywhere.

Around 15:30 I parked my bike in front of the Sultanhan. I walked into the caravanserai. The entrance gate is looking very magnificent and robust. I had a cold coffee at the café within the ancient building built in 1229.

Entrance gate (Taç Kapı) of the Sultanhan

Prayer room (small mosque) in the yard



From Wikipedia:

Sultan Han is a large and significant 13th-century Seljuk caravanserai located in the town of Sultanhanı, Aksaray Province, Turkey. It is one of the three monumental caravanserais in the neighbourhood of Aksaray and is located about 40 km (25 mi) west of Aksaray on the road to Konya.

History

This fortified structure was built in 1229 (dated by inscription), during the reign of the Seljuk sultan Kayqubad I (r. 1220–1237), along the Uzun Yolu (lit. long road) trade route leading from Konya to Aksaray and continuing into Persia. After it was partially destroyed by a fire, it was restored and extended in 1278 by the governor Seraceddin Ahmed Kerimeddin bin El Hasan during the reign of the sultan Kaykhusraw III.

Then I found the Golden Hotel, just behind the Sultanhanı Caravanserai. It is only about 50 meters from the courtyard of the caravanserai. It is a clean and economical family-run hotel owned by Fettah’s family. Fettah is a friendly guy who offered me tea and gave me a nice room. Including breakfast, I paid 1,650 TL (about 35 USD). If someone needs a place to stay in Sultanhanı town, I can recommend this hotel.

There is not much else to see in this town apart from the caravanserai. I ate at the Köylüm Etli Ekmek restaurant. It is a local restaurant, and the people there are very friendly.

I walked around the small town of Sultanhanı and then sat down in a small carpet shop. Ibrahim Kürkçü is a nice guy who trades in old carpets and kilims. He is also involved in agriculture and harvests various grains such as wheat, barley, and corn. We chatted for quite a while, and then I walked back to my hotel.

Day-06: 26.08.2026  

Sultanhanı (Aksaray)-Obruk-Kulu-Tuz Gölü-Ankara >>>340 km

Breakfast at the Golden Hotel is served on the top floor. They have it ready at 07:00. I had my breakfast, then came down and prepared my belongings and my bike for the ride to Ankara.

Fettah and I said goodbye to each other, and then I departed for the Obruk Caravanserai.

This caravanserai is located on the way back to Konya, about 40 km to the west. After half an hour of riding, at around 08:45, I reached the Hotel & Museum at Obruk. It is another ancient caravanserai on the ancient Silk Road, built by the Seljuk Sultans. There is an obruk (= sinkhole) filled with water right in front of the caravanserai. It is called  Kızören Obruğu.


Obruk Caravanserai-Hotel&Museum

Kızören Obruğu (sinkhole)


Ancient cemetery

I took some pictures of the caravanserai and the obruk, as well as an ancient cemetery located beneath the caravanserai.

After having a Turkish coffee, I departed in a northerly direction toward Tuz Gölü (= Salt Lake).

The roads run straight across the flat countryside, and there are not many natural features to admire along the way. I reached the town of Kulu, a widespread town on the way to Ankara. Taking the right direction at the Kulu junction, I continued toward the Tuz Gölü tourist site.



Walking on the Salt Lake

Salt Lake

There are a large restaurant and a gift market at this point. Visitors can also walk on the salt lake. The weather was warm, and because of the white surface of the lake, the sunlight reflected strongly into my eyes.

I walked approximately 300 meters across the salty surface of the lake and then had chickpeas as a quick lunch today (260 TL = USD 5.50).

Then I continued my route toward Ankara. I will be staying for one night at the home of a friend of mine. With this, my plan to see the Lake Region of Türkiye and some ancient human settlements is now completed. At 14:00, I arrived at my friend's home in the outskirts of Ankara.

Day-07: 27.08.2026  

Ankara-Beykoz (Istanbul)>>>495 km

I had to attend the funeral ceremony of a friend’s mother, so I had to stay in Ankara until noon. After participating in the funeral ceremony, I left the cemetery at around 14:30. I took the old highway towards Bolu and Istanbul. It was hot, with the temperature around 31°C.

I rode up to the town of Kızılcahamam. About 10 km later, I stopped at Kavurmacı Yakup. I had lunch there and then continued my route towards Bolu and Istanbul.

For most of the journey, I used the old highway, which is toll-free. I passed over Bolu Mountain and joined the new highway at Gölyaka-Düzce. From then on, I had to ride on the highway, which was not particularly enjoyable.

I arrived home at 19:20 

:)


 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder